When you think about acid, you might consider poisonous burns and chemicals. But when it comes to rain, acid rain isn’t what you would expect. Keep on reading to find out more about acid rain, such as whether it is safe to drink.
Acid rain, also called acid residues , is made acidic because of atmospheric pollution vulnerability. Some atmospheric contamination is caused by natural sources, like volcanoes.
However, the most common cause for this sort of atmospheric pollution is industrial burning of coal and other fossil fuels to create electricity, which create waste gases which contain harmful sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOX). When these sulfur and nitrogen oxides combine with the oxygen and water in the atmosphere, it creates acids.
What’s Acid Deposition?
Water acidity and alkalinity is represented as a pH value, which can be measured on scale which ranges from 0 to 14, with 14 being alkaline, 7 being neutral, and 0 being acidic.
At elevated levels, it can be detrimental to plants, landscapes, and the environment as a whole. However, in moderation, acid deposition is nothing to be worried about.
You see, most ordinary rain has a normal pH of 5.6, which makes it slightly acidic. This is a consequence of water and carbon dioxide responding to one another in the atmosphere, and it isn’t harmful to people, living organisms, nor plants. In the end, if you consider it, drinking water does not generally have a neutral pH value because it keeps dissolved mineral content. This implies that most acid rain is most likely safe to drink, though it isn’t advised.
Concerning drinking rain water, you can do so safely in the event you boil it and filter it. Boiling rain water will eliminate any harmful pathogens, while filtering it is going to eliminate extra unwanted impurities, like chemicals, dust, pollen, mold, and other contaminants.
When collecting rain water for drinking purposes, it’s ideal to collect it directly from the skies into a clean barrel or bucket. Just make certain to place your collection barrel so it is not in the means of tree branches and other structures that it might drip off. Also, allow the water to sit for at least 1 hour to allow the heavy particulates to settle in the bottom.